Thursday, 28 May 2009

Preliminary Task, AHMED, PART 3

Day 3: First Lesson’s Editing on Preliminary Task
The next lesson began with Mr. Hull introducing us to to Final Cut. We were shown, by Mr. Hull, raw, unedited footage filmed by the A2 class, in an effort to show us how to create “in,” and “out,” points. Prior to this, I had had some experience in editing, as I have used Sony Vegas 8 on my own personal projects. However, I feel that Final Cut is superior to Vegas in that it is easier to get used to and to learn how to operate.
We then began importing our footage from the tape on to the Mac, using a firewire. The footage was imported in real time, and although this was time consuming, it gave us time to reflect on the quality of the footage, and to decide which takes were suitable to use and which ones weren’t. Most importantly, it gave us the opportunity to get a laugh out of the ruined takes.
Once the footage had been imported, we began editing. We all gave our input, and helped each other figure out how to perform certain tasks on Final Cut (for example, Rez, who had had some experience on F.C., helped me to figure out how to perform cuts on the audio and the video). Although the editing process did have its’ fair share of gruelling moments (the most gruelling being the editing of the conversation which takes place halfway through the piece), I feel that it was a very insightful, interesting experience, if only for the fact that we had the opportunity to familiarise ourselves with F.C., which we would be using to edit our openings to our fiction films.
Once we had completed editing on the task, we added a scrolling title, in order to give us a feeling of both authorship and pride, and to give the task a sense of polish. We watched the completed task over a few times, and I was relatively happy with it, although I did feel that there were some parts that were a bit choppy and needed to be altered/changed, if only to make the final product the best it could be (this was later confirmed as, later that evening, Mr. Hull uploaded the task onto YouTube. The parts of the task that I felt were choppy while watching the task on F.C. were much more evident/obvious whilst watching it on YouTube). They were to be corrected in the next day’s lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment